Isn't it interesting in Genesis 18:23-33; we find the Lord communing with Abraham about destroying Sodom and Abraham is dwindling down the number of righteous that the Lord would spare the city for. First the Lord says he will destroy the city and Abraham asks Him to spare Sodom if there are 50 righteous in it. Eventually he gets the number down to 10. I've heard often in reference to this story that Abraham "bargained" for the number to be dropped. That is not what I read though. I see that Abraham asked the Lord for what he desired and the Lord said ok.
However, in verse 33 it says,"And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place."
The Lord was having a conversation with Abraham and Abraham was having a conversation with the Lord. This was not a one sided ask and receive type of situation. This was Abraham and the Lord communing together. Notice that when the number was brought down to 10 the Lord agreed and He was done.
This makes me wonder...how often do we pray and throw our petitions out there and get up from our place having communed with the Lord? If we had communed with the Lord would we have had different requests? Would we have prayed differently? If our prayer time was spent really communing/ conversing with our Lord would we find that our prayers, though they may seem outrageous, would actually be in perfect accord with His ways? When we get to realizing that our prayer time is a sweet communing time with our Lord then maybe we'll seek to hear His voice. Maybe we'll pay closer attention to His still small voice.
On an entirely different note we went to lunch today in a military town and found many soldiers spending their day off having lunch at the same place. When we were being seated I noticed that the guys who were seated behind my husband were the guys with the foul mouths while we were waiting to be seated. I asked if we could move and my husband said if it got bad he'd just ask them to stop.
Right after we sat, they did and he did. I noticed the guys kept mocking my husband asking them to watch their mouths. As long as they were quiet I said nothing. After making the traditional pre food bathroom break I came back to my sweetheart and he had that serious thinking cap look on and asked me if they had the same server we had. I looked at him knowing full well, what was going to ensue because that's what happens when you've been together for a while. Yes, indeed, you start to read each others minds. I said," you're not thinking what I know you're thinking." Nothing. So I said,"you want me to write her a note?" He nodded. The note said: We'd like to pay for the meals of the Marines behind us except alcohol. To make sure she didn't give em their checks I hand delivered it.
Shortly after, they asked for their separate checks and she sat down with them and told them the man behind them paid for their meals. Oh, how I wish you could've seen them. It was sooo sweet.
They finished their meals, stood up and turned around to our table. One guy shook my husband's hand and apologized for their conversation with the kids there. They thanked us for their meal and we thanked them for their service. The girls thanked em too. I hope they'll remember that for a long time. The soldiers and the girls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is interesting how the demeanor of people change when you do something nice for them. It blows my mind how we are mocked when we ask others to be considerate of ladies and children when it comes to language that is used. It wasn't like that very long ago.
Post a Comment