Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My husband and I met at a strict Bible College 12 years ago. The strictness was a good thing, one of the reasons I chose the school in fact. While in college we were encouraged to find other ways of getting to know eachother.
One night while on campus my husbands roommate walked up with a tarantula in a cup. At this time my husband and I were still friends in every sense. Of course those who've been in the Bible college atmosphere know how quickly that status changes but in this story we were still only friends. So back to the tarantula... he thought it was cool. I thought it was gross. Being from the northwest, tarantula's were things I'd seen in the desert exhibit at the zoo. I'd never had the desire to actually see one in my sweetheart's hand even if he wasn't that at the time. I still don't really have that desire. Well, let me tell you, one of the girls (who I thought was absolutely gorgeous) walked up to my "friend" and wanted to *touch* the tarantula. Yes, I was jealous. OK, wait, I was EXTREMELY jealous. She touched his hand when she let the tarantula crawl onto her hand and you could've seen my eyes turn green and the steam roll from ears. I mean I was tempted to show what I was made of and *hold* that 7 legged hairy ugly thing (he lost one in transport) but as much as I wanted to impress him and his friends I just couldn't do it! It was tragic!! I cried that night over it. Not really. I considered whether the Proverbs 31 woman would have done it and firmly decided that was a big negative. No, honestly I was just happy with my decision no matter who was impressed with her decision.
Down the road though when I knew I really liked this guy and I really wanted to impress him, I went out to the baseball field to play catch with him. Oh, yeah, I was his girl for sure! Let me tell you, there weren't any other girls on that diamond playing catch with their Bible college catch! If I didn't already have his heart, that would've been the clincher! *smile*
I know this because today on our date he had plans. They included going out and getting these items.
So the tools I used 11 1/2 years ago, to catch him from that beautiful, curly haired brunette. They still work. Proving you don't need all the feminine wiles to get his attention. Just 2 gloves and a ball. For the record, I didn't have to *steal* him from anyone. Neither one of us had eyes for anyone else in school.
The tennis raquets and tennis balls are other activities we enjoy. Might I add that recreation is one of the 5 love languages of men but that's a WHOLE nother story.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

My 14 year old will be glad to know about this. She is usually the only one willing to shoot hoops with the boys from church. She enjoys basketball but most of the girls don't care to participate.

mama2drama said...

I'm so glad such a shallow point will make someone's day

Melissa Murphy said...

What a funny story. It sounds like something I would do!

And may I just say YOU ARE SO PRETTY!!!!

:-) I was just looking at those adorable easter pictures, (and they are SO adorable) and thought I'd tell ya that.

Have a good one!